Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failing processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitinkgoud

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2006
US
Hi Guys,
Me again............
I am working on a E6500 server running Solaris 9.
It has 8 processors( or at least i think so).
How do i know how many processors are there and their status?
How do i know when a processor is failing......any special kind of messages?

Processor errors will be in /var/adm/messages.

You can run psrinfo to find out details about the procs.

Try this...
Code:
psrinfo -v
And like kHz says, [tt]/var/adm/messages[/tt] for error messages.

Also;

prtdiag -v will also give you information on your cpu's. There is a section in prtdiag -v output that may show hardware error on a particular piece of hardware.

If system has crashed there should be a crashdump created which can be found under /var/crash/`uname -n`
This will create a vmcore.# unix.# and bounds. You can use SCAT (Sun Crash analysis tool) to analyze it. This is a free download at suns download site.

As everyone else pointed out you should have messages in /var/adm/messages messages.1 etc...

Thanks

CA

Good advice. For myself, I find that:

/usr/platform/`uname -m`/sbin/prtdiag -v

is necessary for prtdiag. May be that my systems are skewiff!! Incidentally, the ` are backticks (below the Esc key on most keyboards), not regular apostrophes.

Ken is correct!

for solaris 8 and previous you will need to put in the full path /usr/platform/`uname -m`/sbin/prtdiag -v

for Solaris 9 and later /usr/platform/`uname -m`/sbin is in your path by default.

Thanks

CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back