Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed windows 2000 RAID mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1ru5

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
US
I had a windows 2000 software mirror fail with the primary drive (SCSI) being completely dead. I managed to create a boot floppy that has boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr on it and was able to boot to the second drive. I removed the mirror and made sure the boot.ini points to the correct partition etc.
My problem is that the server will not boot without the floppy, even though the boot.ini on the floppy and the server are exactly the same. The win2k system partition is set to active. I am running out of ideas so if somebody has any ideas I'd appreciate the input.

It sounds like the master boot record is corrupt. Even though you have an active partition the master boot record is what points to that partition as being the boot partition.

The safest plan would be to setup a new machine install os, and applications, copy data over to new machine and you're back up and running.

Please research first, but on a few occations I've fixed problems like this with an ms-dos boot disk and fdisk. The command would be "fdisk /mbr". This can be dangerous anytime you mess around with hard drive booting.

Research at:
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back