Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to start database engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

FauxPawn

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
US
Hi. I just finished installing ArcServe 6.5 build 220 Single Server Edition on my new Windows 2000 Professional desktop computer.

No, i do not intend to backup any other computers than my own.

When i start the ArcServe Manager i receive the error message "Failed to start database engine (1053)".

At one other point i somehow received a variation of the code following the error. "Failed to start database engine (0)".

How do i fix that so i can ruun my backup jobs?

ARCserve 6.5 and 6.61 cannot be installed on a Windows 2000 server. It must be installed on NT only. If you want a CA storage product to run oN Windows 2000 you will have to upgrade to ARCserve 2000. Good luck!

This is interesting. If you do a seach on microsoft.com for ArcServe compatibility with Windows2000 you get this:
It looks like ArcServe 6.61 will work fine on Win2000. HOWEVER, if you look at the bottom of the page it says:
"Windows 2000 Server: Upgrade from NT 4.0
Compatible, but post-installation action is required"

So if you click on a few links from that page you get to a CA page that states the following:
"Action required for upgrading an
existing system to Windows 2000: If at ARCserve for Windows NT Release 6.5 or above: upgrade to ARCserve 2000 and it's agents/options."

They call THAT a "post-installation action". Why bother saying 6.61 is compatible, when it is only "compatible" if you upgrade to an entirely new product (which is NOT free)?!?!?!

Am I missing something here?

Based on my phone converstions with CA tech support, I'd say that's par for the course - English as they interpret it.....<grin>

Hi

ARCserve 6.5 and 6.61 cannot be installed on a Windows 2000 server. you need to upgrade to arcserve 7 .

Regards
mohamdr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back