Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to retrieve database error only when grouping on SQL Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj1576

MIS
May 21, 2008
US

Hi,

I am trying to group my report on the following SQL Expression named %empl

(
select max(B.`ResultText`)
from TestMainList A, TestResults B
where A.`TestID`= B.`TestID` and
A.`Description`= 'Employee' and
B.`TestDate` = TestResults.`TestDate`
)

However, when I run the report, it gives me the error "Failed to retrieve data from database" and Database Vendor Code -3100- it mentions some kind of syntax error even though all fields are correct.

The report runs fine if I add %empl to the details section. It even runs fine if I group it by %empl AFTER first running the report with the %empl expression in the details. However, when I try to re-run the report, it gives me the error again.

The SQL expression is error free when I check it. I am using an Access database, with an ODBC connection. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!

Hi,
Are you using that as a SQL expression within a report section or as a Command instead of selecting from a table?

Also, tht error:
[URL unfurl="true" said:
http://msaccess.blogspot.com/2005/10/vba-error-codes-and-messages.html[/URL]]
3100 Can't set field 'Item' in join key to Null.
May indicate that TestID in one or both tables is NULL.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

TurkBear,

Thanks for the quick response. I haven't looked at the whole database for that field, but it is possible that one of the records is null- interestingly, I only get the error whenn grouping on the field.

Also, I am using the expression as a sql expression within the report. Is there a work around for the null field if that is the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back