Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed to contact the NT Domain Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehustler

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2003
US
i just installed a new server problem is that the exchange services are failing to contact the Nt domain controller. What could be the problem?

More info would be helpful

What Exchange server are you using?
What O/S is it installed on?
Does it belong to the domain?
Do you run WINS?
Do you run DNS?

Thanks

Jason

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

I am running exchange server 5.5, installed on the PDC Win 2000 server, when asked to connect i can browse my org site and find my server Gamma01 and i am running DNS.
tahnk you

i have also started a new thread where i can not even access/start the Exchange Administrator now. please send help...
thank you

My question is the domain controller a fresh install as well?
If so did you install it in mixed mode or native mode??

Jason

Rich Cook -- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

jason if you can really help me with this it would be great. I came in to this project with little knowledge of exhange and this is really driving me crazy. The server i presume was set up as native to the best of my knowledge. i came into this project half way and it is really becomning a beast. I tried to mirror all previous configurations of the previous exchange server. I came to know that the Primary NT Directory was pointing to /unknown account and this did not seem right. I tried to find alternative accounts and seemed to have an /administrator account that had the role of service account administrator i deleted most instances of the /unknown account to point to this /administrator account. I tried to add another /administrator account w/ the role permission administrator with no luck it would not be accepted but only as admin role. Consequently i prematurely exited exchange administrator and now iam in this predicament. please advise to the best of your knowledge.
thanx
dave

Hustler,
Take a deep breath and give us a blow-by-blow of what has been done at the site. Sounds a little like the domain account is no longer there that Exchange was using. You somehow need to get that back as there is security all the way through Exchnage tied to it. If the account has been deleted you will need to go back to a backup to get it back.
Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back