Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failed to authenticate the user caroot (ec=-1) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginga

Technical User
May 21, 2002
GB
Now i have had this before and it seemed to resolve itself when i reset the caroot password (ca_auth user). Now my problem has started again and i have tried it again it isnt having any of it. Users can logon to the server using their domain\username and are members of the backup operators. The server is in an AD and the backups are performed by caroot locally. The domain users have read & execute access to the dir of the arc backup. Once they have access to the server, load arcserve and try to view any jobs they get "failed to authenticate the user caroot (ec=-1)". Any ideas? It is abit strange that it is happening only now and again. Was wondering in the back of my mind about password changes forced on users every 30 days but this is not consistent with that.

So over to you!
Cheers in advance..

Ginga

Not the "perfect world" answer, but we've stopped getting this since leaving the caroot password blank. As the users are accessing with Domain-secured IDs, I don't see this as too much of a security risk.

I assume you're up to the latest & greatest with your patches? You don't say what version of Arcserve you're running.

Aha! May look into that. Sorry the version of arcserve is ver 9 build 2020. And i haven't checked out patches on this server for some time is there any in particular that i should be making sure it has?

Cheers
Ginga

Forgot to mention that when particular ad admin accounts login and run arcserve it allows them access. It looks like it i need to do some revision on access rights and allocating them.

As far as patches, I know there's a Sp4 (build 2040) & a Device Patch to take it to build 2041.

CA site is (unfortunately ;-) ) the best point of reference. We've gone to V11 so my info may be outdated.

Cheers matey will have a scan on the site.

Ginga

Hi all,
First thing when you get this message caroot ec=-1 is to check if all the CA services are running....
Once this is checked, ( you could try the command Cstop, cstart) you could investigate on the password problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back