Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed registration of Network Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper911

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
GB
I posted this in the cluster section but I dont think there is much traffic going there, hope its OK to repost it here.

I have a 2 node cluster and I found that I can move the Cluster resource to node A but I cannot move the application resource to Node A. It just goes there and then goes back to Node B.

I found that the problem is the Network Name as it fails with the following error in Event Log

Event ID 1196

The required registration of the DNS name(s) associated with Cluster resource NetworkName failed for the following reason

A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host.

Not sure what this means exactly, I can ping the DNS server from Node A and the resources were on Node A up until last week. Both Node A and B are built identically with the same DNS servers.

I found that when I did a ipconfig /registerdns on Node A, I got a DNSAPI error of 11160. Have tried to troubleshoot that now.

Any suggestions on where to look will be grateful.

re-enable teh dhcp client service and set it to automatic...also ensure netlogon is started and auto, and tcp/ip netbios helper is on.

dhcp client service being disabled ro not started is the most likely cause.

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back