Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed not Ejecting Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
I have 4 installations of Arcserve 2000 Advanced running on Windows 2000. I have all jobs set to eject the backup media at the end of the job. All are using the same brand of DLT drives. If a backup fails for some reason (like it can't connect to one of it's clients) 2 of the servers will go ahead and eject the tape upon completion. The other 2 will not eject the tape, even though the job is finished. (They will eject if the backup was successful or incomplete.)

I want them all to eject the tape when the job is done. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks in advance,
Debi

set the option
"eject backup media at the end" option on the job options So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Yes, that is checked. And it works when the backup finishes either successful or incomplete. However, if the job fails, it will not eject at the end.

Thanks,
Debi

When the job fails ... does the job status say "Crashed"??? So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Nope, status is Failed.

Thanks!
Debi

Why is the job failing...
mentions the errors you get in the Activity Log\job log.

is it due to a tape problem...

CHeers
speshalyst So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

No, it is not a tape problem. I have a server selected to backup that uses the client. That server is having trouble with it's network connection. Sometimes Arcserve can communicate with it and sometimes it can't. If it can't, it gives me the can't connect to client agent error. Then the backup goes about it's merry business and in the end gives a failure because of that one server. This is the scenario which will not eject the tape at the end.

Thanks,
Debi

If the only issue is the connection to the client agent the media should still eject. The only time I've seen media remain in the drive and not get placed back into the proper slot is bad media. Have you cleaned the heads on the tape recently, that may help.

Yes, the drives have been cleaned. This is a very consistant and repeatable occurance. The media is good. The backup is good (minus the one missing server). It updates the database. Everything is really fine, it just won't eject it.

Thanks,
Debi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back