Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed first test, What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxgravis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
US
well i got a 619 on my 70-270 test. I thought i was ready but they hit me with lots of sysprep, security templates, printing ques and one question about allowing UNIX based systems access to shared resources that i have never seen info on before.
Should I re-take the test asap or should I study more and wait? If you take the same test form the same facility on close days, is the test similar or totally different? My test had 58 questions. thanks

You should study up, then retake the exam.

The test will be different every time you take it. There are over 300 questions for most of the exams and you only get a subset of them.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Hi Maxgravis,

Sorry to hear that you failed the MS XP Pro exam 70 - 270. What is your background i.e. do you work in IT etc and how did you prepare for the exam.

Give us some meat in your info and we'd be able to advice you better.

I am the IT mgr at a small West Texas hospital. We have about 100 computers, mostly running Win 2000. I have been there 3 years. We have a Win 2000 server with AD, Exchange, I have a small budget so this server performs the role of DHCP, DNS, file server etc. We also have an AS/400 that hosts our HIS. I am pretty good with XP, just not Security templates and sysprep, I do have an image I use, but after using sysprep to get it going, I never use any other kind of remote/unattended installs so most of the other options for sysprep are unknown to me except reading about them. My lowest areas were 1. Hardware Devices and Resources 2. Security 3. Conducting Admin of Resources
Hope that helps and thanks for helping

maxgravis said:
My lowest areas were 1. Hardware Devices and Resources 2. Security 3. Conducting Admin of Resources
It sounds like you know which areas you're weakest in. Study up on them and you should be able to pass it the next time. 619 is not really that far from a passing grade.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Hi maxgravis, sorry to hear about the failed test but don't be too disheartened. If I was you, I'd rebook it for a couple of weeks time and get stuck back into the books. You've then got a date top aim for too.
What I've found is once you stop self studying , it's hard to get back into it.
Good luck!

Paul Thomas
N+, MCP, MCSA: Messaging

Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Passed
70-294 - Passed
70-284 - Passed
70-297 - Loading...

Indeed, it is as paul thomas said, it is best to shedule it not to far in the future.

The problem with these exams is that you need to know some stuff like the sysprep which not everyone use on a daily basis depending on your job contents.

Take a look at this list ( and check to make sure that you are familiar with all the topics on it.

By only studying the things you didn't know, you risk to have new unexpected things next time.

Anyway, don't loose faith!

Greetz,

Geert

Geert Verhoeven
Consultant @ Ausy Belgium

My Personal Blog

The test will be different every time you take it.

Actually I once failed a test and retook it the next week. I saw exactly the same questions in the same order. That was a few years ago so I'm not sure if it still works that way.

;)

well, one problem might have been that i was using a Mike Myers study book from 2002, I ordered a MS Press book and will study some more. I am also getting the 160 dollar exam insurance so i'll get 2 more tries for that price

Thanks everyone

IT4EVR said:
Actually I once failed a test and retook it the next week. I saw exactly the same questions in the same order. That was a few years ago so I'm not sure if it still works that way.

;)
I suppose it could happen, but I'm not about to bet my money on it!

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Yeah I'd retake it within 2-3 weeks and study up on the sections you were weak in. Sysprep type stuff I found quite a pain to as I'm not really involved in the desktop side of things in my job, on the plus side though I had some DNS and network questions in my XP exam so it worked out OK ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back