Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failed Drive in Mirrored VG 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlcboy01

IS-IT--Management
Feb 18, 2003
US
Have an AIX 4.3 system with Oracle Databases on a 3 drive striped and mirrored Volume Group. (Backed up every night thanks the ghosts of my ancestors!) Lost one of the VG drives. Can I redifine the Volume Group hdisks to utilize the mirror drives while I'm waiting for our maintenance contract to be renewed? Like this :

break the mirror
redifine the hdisks used by the VG as hdisk 11,12 and 13 instead of 8, 9 and 10 (which is broke)
get maintenance
replace broke drive
remirror VG using 8,9 and 10 as mirror

Any help would be golden!

Just break the mirror and you will be fine until you replace the new disk to be replaced. Then mirror back.

kHz,

Didn't understand what you meant until the tech came today to do the hardware replacement. He showed me that the mirror is not just a copy, but part of the VG! After breaking the mirror and reducing the original striped drives (including the broken one) from the VG, it was mountable and had a good copy of the data on it! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back