Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fail ti install XP on a GA7DXR+ / AMD Athlon XP 1900+ / 40Gb WDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calinus

Technical User
Jan 2, 2004
US
The HDD was partitioned in W98, but I don't remember if I used, or how, an EZ-drive. I think I didn't, not being necesary.Now, I wanted to be sure that everything is erased I used the whole disk for Primary partition for OS install, I did even a probably useless DOS "fdisk /mbr"
I formatted NTFS thru the setup sequences, the install started, did the format, copied files, and it STOPS everytime in a blue screen with:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ... bla bla..if this is the first time... bla bla
STOP: 0x000000A (0x478BEC80, 0x0000002, 0x00000000, 0x801903EE)
When I try to re-install the program "sees" an OS there (c:/WIndows), but it's not suppose to be any. Probably sees the former attempt as an installed OS, which it shouldn't. Any way, I'm revolving in a circle here, can any body light the EXIT sign for me ?

You may be getting that error message if you're partitioning, formatting, and installing Win XP with its CD, and your CD-ROM drive is not compatible with Win XP.

If so, and you have the Win XP install floppies and a FD, then try doing the the partitioning, formatting, and installation with them.

Also, here's an excellent tutorial on doing a clean Win XP install:

Might be worth removing all traces of previous hard drive contents before starting - eg, something like
You may have a hardware problem/incompatibility with XP. Could also try removing unnecessary hardware (eg, sound, network, modem cards, CD writer etc) while installing - connect them afterwards if it works. Also, if > 1 stick of memeory - try each on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back