Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fade to black, merging clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwex

Programmer
Jul 24, 1999
US
I'm still getting the hang of premiere, and I'm wondering how to fade the end of a clip to black. so far I'm using a black color matte, and cross dissolving which works, but this gives me a smooth fade.

the type of fade I want is like the kind between scenes on "law and order" (if anybody watches that). I don't know how to describe it, but it looks like the lighter parts of the scene fade first, like a huge shadow comes over the scene, then it fades completely to black. is there a way I can imitate this in premiere?

also, is it possible to hold a frame at the end of a clip? like at the end of a clip, hold the last frame alone for a few seconds so I can just fade with that frame?

and lastly, a quick question: I know you can split clips with the razor, but can you merge clips back together?

thanks for any help!

To hold a frame, the best way I found was to export the last frame as a tiff file, this can be found in File — export timeline — Frame. Save it as the same size as what you are working in, drag it into your work area, the clip can be stretched or shortened and then you should be laughing. Particularly good if you are fading it out. I don't know what the effects are you are trying to create but I suggest you use your effect control box.

qwex,

I know you're looking for a specialized face-to-black, but since I've never seen "Law and Order," I can't comment on that fading type. What I can comment on is perhaps an easier way to create a smooth fade-to-black for some of your future projects.

Use the "Opacity Rubberbands" (Users Guide p. 282). Be sure that your clip is in a superimpose tract (with nothing below it), click the small white triangle located to the left of the words, "Video #" on the tract and look for a red icon in the lower left hand corner of the tract. Using the Selection Tool icon (the arrow), you can add new "handles" and move them into position to quickly create a fade to black.

I agree with the preveious answer regarding still images. AS for you last question: I don't know of a satisfactory way to re-attached clips that have been cut. Some alternatives include re-inserting the original clip or creating a virtual clip.

Thanks,
Eric V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back