Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Factory Reset Avaya 9641GS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tac84

Programmer
Mar 15, 2019
AU
Hi everyone,

I've had this thread running in the IP Office forum as this is the system I'm familiar with.

I'm trying to Factory Reset an Avaya 9641GS handset I purchased second hand. I've never had any issue resetting Avaya phones before, however for some reason when I press the * key on start up and enter the usual CRAFT password then #, the phone just reboots and doesn't access the craft menu. Most people suggest the default CRAFT '27238' password has been changed on the device. I was wondering if there is any other common password used by the CM systems?

The issue is the phone is connecting to a VPN in the United States as soon as it finds my DHCP so I can't even set up a http server to force the phone to pull down my own version of the 46xxsettings file and force the change of password that way.

As mentioned my system is the IP Office R11, not CM but thought this forum was worth a shot. I've also attempted to reach out to the original owner of the device (they had their logo as the background on the phone) but I'm yet to hear back...

Appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Yes, it's likely the craft password has been changed. Easiest if the previous owner can provide the password but that's not likely.

I've had to go so far as to set up SPAN on a switchport and get a packet capture of the set booting up to see where it was reaching out to for it's 46xxsettings file, and then get a server capable of sending http or https temporarily set up at that IP and sending it my own 46xxsettings file. Then again I had about 50 sets that were like that.

@Wanebo - Thanks for the reply. Yep sounds exactly like that.

Not sure If I could even do what you're suggesting. See the second it gets an internet connection, it's connecting to the VPN. IF I remove the internet connection, the VPN errors and you can't get around it.

If I can't get the password from the previous company, I think this device will become a paperweight.

If it didn't have the VPN, I would be able to get around it I think...

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Does it ask for a settings file or DHCP before booting?

A Dualcomm inline tap is worth it's weight in gold. USB powered switch. POE passes from the LAN switch into port 1 to the phone on port 2 and everything is mirrored to port 5. Your laptop on port 5 can have an IP on the network, so you can be running wireshark to figure out what it's trying to do and then run a http server on that to feed it something else.

I'll try a couple of things...

@Kyle555 - Hi, this is the boot process:

1. DHCP request
2. Immediately connects to VPN (Can't stop this process- removing the internet connection just causes the VPN to error and you can't bypass it)
3. Pulls files down from CM server on the VPN
4. Phone is connected to the CM Server and ready to input ext and password.

If there was no VPN, I could probably get around this and force my own 46xxsettings file down, but unless there is a way to stop it from connecting to the VPN, I can't see a way around it.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

RESOLVED: I was able to get in contact with the company in the United States and he assisted pushing down a 46xxsettings file down that reset the password to the default CRAFT '27238'. I've now reset the phone and its functioning.

Their policy changes the default CRAFT password to prevent staff from making changes.

Turns out the company was not aware this brand new phone was sold on eBay, so someone is in deep s***.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

@kyle555 Yep sure was!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back