Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Factory reset Avaya 9641GS IP Phone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tac84

Programmer
Mar 15, 2019
AU
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to Factory Reset an Avaya 9641GS handset I purchased second hand. I've never had any issue resetting Avaya phones before, however for some reason when I press the * key on start up and enter the usual CRAFT password then #, the phone just reboots and doesn't access the craft menu.

Any ideas how I can get into the CRAFT menu as I would like to factory reset the phone. I think the previous user has VPN settings installed.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Most likely the previous owner has changed the default password or disabled the local admin.

What you can do is to set up an http server and upload a default 46xxsettings.txt file with this code under the appropriate section “Set PROCPSWD 27238”.

Then set a dhcp pointing to your http server IP. Plug your phone and hopefully its on dhcp mode and pickup the new file.

Maybe you can add set PROCSTAT 0 with the first code if it didn’t work.

@icet500

Thanks. So I'm running IPO 11. Would I then set a customer IP address in manager pointing to the http server and just have a 46xxsettings.txt file on there? Can I get away with just having the 46xxsettings.txt file as the only file on this temp file server?

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

I've been trying this. DHCP appears to be enabled however the phone is connecting to a VPN and trying to pull the files from a remote server. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Did you just buy that on eBay?
if so contact the seller and tell them you need your money back or the admin password.

If this is one that you have for a long time already I guess you have an ugly paperweight now

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

@Westi

You guessed it Westi. eBay.
They have no idea what the password is. It has a VPN set so I can’t work out how to get a 46xxsettings file onto the phone- unless someone knows a way to disable the VPN?

Will request a refund...

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Forgive me if the VPN boot up is different, but normally with the 9600s you can see the boot process on screen including the address it goes to for the intial settings file. You may have to cheat it with giving it a repsonse (hub, PC set to that address running HTTP file server and as dummy settings file with the command in it for setting a known password). Have done that for phones in the past including Vantage devices - don't do it with the real IP Office, its a test bench job.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Do not connect the phone to a network which has access to the internet so you can prevent building the vpn tunnel.

On the http server you will need the 96xxupgrade.txt and 46xxsettings file. Check the logs on your http server and see if the phone is picking up the files or not.

NOTE: Test this in a lab network.

Thanks @icet500

Tried this but when I connect to a network without internet access the VPN just times out and the phone won’t proceed any further unless it can build the VPN tunnel. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Did you try sizbut idea

Set your pc to the address your phone is trying to connect to

Not having a lot of luck @Snowman50.

Main issue is that it will not go any further on startup without an internet connection to build the VPN tunnel. Without Internet, it just wants to retry building the VPN. I've even tried connecting the Internet, letting it build the VPN then removing the internet so it relies on the local, identical address. No go.

Not sure there is a way around this unfortunately - because of the VPN settings in the phone.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

How much time have you wasted on this activity versus buying a new 9641GS from Avaya?

I have bought new open box 9641GS on ebay for $35 each before, still worth it sometimes

@edlee321 Yeah I don't usually have any issues. I ended up emailing the company who previously owned it to see if they know the CRAFT password. Wasn't going to waste much more time on it, but if they can help out it would save having to throw it in the bin...

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Have you tried no password(just hit # when it asks for a password)? I know older phones/firmware sometimes had no password instead of 27238. Worth a shot.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

@Critchey - No mate have not tried that, will try it when I get home! Thanks for this!

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

@Critchey - thanks for the suggestion - no good though. I'll see if I ever get a reply from the company who previously owned the phone. It's connecting to a CM server (Not IP Office) and my guess is that they've disabled the local craft menu. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Well if the craft menu was disabled you wouldn't even see the * to program. I think it is more likely that the craft menu password was changed. I am not familiar with CM enough to know if there is a "default" craft password other then 27238. Sounds like you will probably have to get your money back though.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Thanks again @Critchey - that helps. I've posted this thread over on the CM forum to see if anyone has any suggestions re common replacement CRAFT passwords...Will update this as soon as I hear.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

RESOLVED: I was able to get in contact with the company in the United States and he assisted pushing down a 46xxsettings file down that reset the password to the default CRAFT '27238'. I've now reset the phone and its functioning.

Their policy changes the default CRAFT password to prevent staff from making changes.

Turns out the company was not aware this brand new phone was sold on eBay, so someone is in deep s***.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back