Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fact & Dimension Relationships Not Working in Transformer Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

sconti11

Technical User
Jan 31, 2011
US
I am experiencing somthing strange with my Transformer 10.1 Cube...at least to me :)

So I created a cube using 4 reports from report studio as sources (Time, Distributor, Item, Fact), these reports all point to their respective query subjects within the Framework Package. After creating the cube, and then nesting a level from the Distributor and Item dimension along with the Time, it looks like an outer join is being applied.

So when I attempt to run a similar report against the relational model (which is the same package used for the reports in the data source of the cube), i get results that look like an inner join!! So in FM, the dimensions have joins to the fact like a classic star schema.

So, I guess what I am asking is..should I expect Transformer cube to provide the same results, maintaining the relationships as seen in the FM package???

I hope I am making sense...please ask if you think you can assist. I am really in a bind here to provide answers to my business team.

Thanks!

No, that is what is to be expected. With a relational model or a DMR (to an extend) you will get results in line with an inner join. A Powercube will yield all combinations equalling an outer join. For instance in Analysis Studio you then use zero and null suppression to eliminate irrelevant rows..

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back