Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

@face-font CSS help needed, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aich69

Technical User
Apr 23, 2004
GB
I built my site using Segoe Print as the main font. This appears to be a default font for Windows 7 but not for XP so viewing my site via XP machine renders it with Tahoma...my first back up font in my CSS.

I read about @face-font and it appeared to be just what I needed and seems simple enough to implement...except, I cannot get it to work.

My CSS shows
Code:
@font-face { 
	    font-family: Segoe Print; 
	    src: url(../segoepr.ttf) format("truetype"); 
}

and I have the font sitting on the root of my site along with CSS page and my html pages.

Can anyone shed light on where I'm going wrong? I have tried changing the path in the above code to (segoepr.ttf) (/segoepr.ttf) but neither of these worked either.

Someone please show me how stupid I'm being. Thank you.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

I took a look at that earlier and actually created one of their 'kits' but it still doesn't work..unless I'm missing something.
I have added the code directly to my existing CSS file. I'm wondering if maybe I should have 2 CSS files, one for the site layout etc and one for the @face-font code?

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but are you sure the browser you are testing with supports format("truetype")? Even if the browser supports @font-face (which it probably does), it doesn't mean it supports all the relevant formats.

To quote from :

... the major browsers have decided to go their own way with font formats that they choose to support.

* Internet Explorer only supports EOT
* Mozilla browsers support OTF and TTF
* Safari and Opera support OTF, TTF and SVG
* Chrome supports TTF and SVG.

Further, mobile browsers like Safari on the iPad and iPhone require SVG.

I don't know how up to date that list is, but it might be worth checking.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Thanks Mike, you were bang on with that observation. I say 'were' as I managed to solve the problem last night by working with the font extensions you mention in your quote....it was just a bit late to post again [sleeping2]

Darryn I went back to fontsquirrel and get myself straight with one of the kits, this is where the alternative font extensions came in.

All good now and rendering properley in IE, Safari, Firefox, Chrome.

[smile]

Cheers Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back