Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extrenal data source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob2

Programmer
Jul 3, 2000
SE
Hi

I wonder if it is possible to use a excel file that holds a lot of adresses to inside word create labels based on the data in excel?

I use office 2003

Regards

M

Sounds like you are talking about a mail merge.

Click on HELP (in word) and search for mail merge. (That's where the below came from....)

About mail merge for form letters and mass mailings
Use the Mail Merge Wizard to create form letters, mailing labels, envelopes, directories, and mass e-mail and fax distributions. To complete the basic process, you:

Open or create a main document.

Open or create a data source with individual recipient information.

Add or customize merge fields in the main document.

Merge data from the data source into the main document to create a new, merged document.

Hi

Great, thats what I meant. But what if I want to take it one step further and add some text before a name, but I only want that text to appear if there is any date from the excel file. Can this be done too?

Regards

M

Don't see why not - Create a field within your Excel file that has an IF formula that says If a date exists then put in this text, else put in a blank, and then pull that field into your Word Doc.

Regards
Ken................

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about using a Corel 8 address book for the merge process. I couldn't find anthing or any option in the MS Help files. Is this wanting too much? JLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back