Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extremely slow throughput backing up PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattang

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2003
CA
I am running Backup Exec 8.5 on a Windows 2000 server with all the security patches and service packs. I get decent throughput backing up our Win NT 4.0 network (250-300 MB/min) except when backing up our PDC. It is below 0.1 MB/min!!!

I've upgraded the firmware on the SCSI cards (19160 and 2940U), I've upgraded the firmware on the Tape drives (Quantum DLT7000 and Quantum Super DLT 220).

Any hints or tips would be much appreciated.

mattang

remote backup?

what sort of speed do you get when you copy large amounts of files from the PDC to the backup server?

I would definitely say that this is a network issue of some sort.

Had a similar problem....
Sony AIT 700c, 2.8 ghz server, 2gig ram

System partition was baking up at 100 meg/minute; main data partition was backing up at 1.2 gig/minute ( not complaining about the 1.2 gig rate, awsome).

Soution for the sysytem partition was to reinstall BK 8.6 "over the top" of the existing install. Now it is about 500 meg/minute. Believe some Backup Exec file(s) were replaced by different version by software installed after BK

Just making sure that you are using the remote agent??

got the same problem (running about 10m/min). i change controller, scsi cable, terminator and uninstall and reinstall veritas 8.6 r 3878
system is a:
hp netserver
quad xeom
2.0g ram
raid 5
compaq dlt vs80

help!!!

I had a similar problem using 9.0 rev 4454. Remotes were backing up fine, but the local server was a dog, taking 49 hours once to backup 171MBs. Corrupted database. Using beutility.exe I made a backup of the database by dumping the database and renaming it with a .old extension, then recover the database from bedb.bak.

****This will start you out from scratch and have to setup everything again but it worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back