Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extremely SLow Log On to new 2000 Domain (HELP!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

idemoya

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
US
We just installed a brand new 2000 Server with the same domain of an existing NT 4.0 Domain (Which was offline during the install). I created all user accounts from scratch (no migration utilities). When I wen to my client machines all Windows 98 logged on with no problem or hitch. On my Windows 2000 and XP machine I had to rejoin domain. After successfully joining the domain i attempt to log on and log in is extremely slow (On XP/2000 only) - 5 - 10 minutes slow. Any ideas? Please help.

Thanks

Ivan

check if the users on win2k workstations are using roaming profiles, if so that should be the reason for the delays. everytime the user logs in, the profile is loaded from the server, and depending on the ammount of information the user have, it will be the ammount of time it will take to load the information from the server. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Does the slow logon happen the second time you log on to the workstation as well. When windows 2000 computers log on to a 2000 domain it takes a while the first time they log in but usually not as long the second time.

It's your DNS bud, install it on your server and make sure all of your 2000 and nt clients are pointing to it in your tcp/ip settings. Thanks, PAUL

Please explain why paul123456 and bijo30 think it is DNS? Vince Grice
vgrice@hotmail.com
MCSE Win2K, NT; MCSA; MCP+I
favicon.ico

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow.
- Woodrow Wilson

Setup DHCP server to distribute local DNS server's IP as primary DNS for the domain clients. Setup Forwarders in your local DNS Properties to point to your ISP's DNS address. Run ipconfig /release and /renew on all machines. You're in business. Just make sure you delete "." record from your local DNS servers as it will not let you add Forwarders if it thinks it's the root server.

vgrice.....................

MSCE
MSCA
A+
NET+
CCNA
3 YEARS EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD.... Thanks, PAUL

Hi,

had this problem.....figured it out and it was a firewall...have norton personal or macafee?

mike

Check your dns event log. (All logs for that matter and see what you can see.) Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[yinyang]

"Patience is more powerful than force."
Plutarch (46-125 A.D.);

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back