Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extremely Slow File Access using AcuODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeeler

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I am using AcuODBC v5.2.1 to access information contained within vision tables. When accessing only 1 table the response is very quick. However, when trying to join 2 or more tables to extract information the process slows to a non usable pace, ie 12 hours later the report has still not returned the information. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem with multi file joins would be greatly appreciated.

Also note that the problem is the same whether I am using Crystal Reports or MS Access when trying to retrieve the records.

Thanks,
David

You should keep in mind that just because you're using a join, which is a very efficient thing in a relational database, you won't be getting the same speed when using it on flat files. The ODBC pipe you're using is not a database engine, but just a conduit to the data.

I really don't think you'll be getting fast results from something like this.

Then again, I don't think it should crawl down to 12 hours ... is your data on a shared resource on the network? Try putting it locally for faster access time.

Also, try looking at the way you're joining the two files. The more fields you join them on, the slower I think it will get. How big is your key?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back