Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme to Cisco Express 500 trunked uplink

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
Does anyone have any experience with this specific scenario? I know how to do it via CLI on the Catalyst switches, but the express 500 is a GUI and doesn't have a lot of granular control from what I have seen.

I got it to work. I set the uplink port using the "Switch" smartport profile and set my native VLAN to the VLAN I tagged on the uplink. I also had to disable STP on both ends. I went ahead and disabled the EDP on the Extreme side for good measure. The thing I am not sure about is if I have multiple VLANs I need to trunk if it does that automatically with this profile or if I would need an uplink for each VLAN.... I would hope not. There was no indication of which VLANs other than the native were being trunked.

It is very Tricky with Extreme (XOS or Extremeware) stuff:

- There is no "native" command in Extreme, You HAVE to define a new 'control' vlan, tagged 100, for example
- Now on CISCO side, you HAVE to define Native vlan 100
- You only need 1 uplink to pass all the vlans you want.

Saludos from Mexico!,
Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back