Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme switch Vlan configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

roboxtz

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2012
BR

I have a scenario with one Extreme layer 3 switch and two extreme layer 2

switches.They are connected as following:

Extreme swl3-------Extreme swl2 1------Extreme swl2 2

I have a vlan 10 on swl2 1 and i have a vlan 20 on Extreme swl2 2.

The Extreme swl3 is configured like that as to vlans(lets suppose the port 12 is

the trunk port):

enable ipforwarding
create vlan development
configure vlan development tag 10
configure vlan development add port 12 tag
configure vlan development ipaddress 10.10.0.1/16
create vlan HR
configure vlan HR tag 20
configure vlan HR add port 12 tag
configure vlan HR ipaddress 10.20.0.1/16

On extreme switchl2 1 the configuration is: (let's suppose the port 12 is the trunk):

create vlan development
configure vlan development tag 10
configure vlan development add port 12 tag
configure vlan development add port 1-24 untag

create vlan HR
configure vlan HR tag 20
configure vlan HR add port 12 tag

I ask to you if with these configuration the routing between vlan 10 e vlan 20 will work,i need tag the vlan 20 on swl2 trunk port(12) but i really need to use the "create vlan HR" on the swl2 as i did?

i did hide the configuration of swl2 2 beacause it only changes the ip address and tag configuration.

You need to enable ip forwarding after the IP addresses have been assigned to the VLANs. Obviously the default gateways for the devices in the VLANs need to be 10.10.0.1 & 10.20.0.1.

Andy

Thanks andy for the response,

What if i have configured the "enable ipforwarding" command before to give ip addresses to the vlans?I will have to put the command "disable ipforwarding" and after "enable ipforwarding"?

You shouldn't have to. I usually enable it globally on the switch that is performing the routing. Not sure if there is a caveat to doing that or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back