Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme Summit48si Port configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbari

ISP
Apr 9, 2009
GB
Hi everybody,

I have got a cisco and a extreme switch which is connected through and working fine with auto negotiation on the extreme port and hard coded full duplex on the cisco side. So my issue is whenever I am trying to disable auto negotiation and make it as hard coded half or full duplex on the extreme port, straight away port falls over and lose the connection in between two switches.

Any idea how to change the auto negotiate port config to hard coded one on the extreme side without the port fall over.

FYI: I have tried with both managemet ways, web and console. But still no joy.

Thanks

you can with:

configure port <port #> auto <on | off> duplex <half | full> speed <10 | 100> <cr>

:)

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried with you given command before but it was not working unless i used the cross cable in between the switches. Though it was up and running with straight cable.

Have a good day.....

mrbari -

That is correct. When using auto-negotiation the switches are smart enough to detect and use Auto MDI/MDX. When you hard set port duplex and port speed Auto MDI/MDX is disabled and therefore need to use a Xover cable for transmit and receive pairs.

Hope this helps explain why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back