Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extreme beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

leca07

Technical User
Dec 22, 2001
YU
OK do call me stupid, but I still have to ask you something. I've just started learning PS and a big problem appeared at the very beginning. I hit Ctrl N, entered some values and a new doc appeared. I picked the rectangle tool, draw a shape and filled it. But when I inserted a new layer and wanted to draw something on it none of the tools were available. I clicked on all of them, their property bars apeared but the pointer was still "the pointer". Then I clicked on the first layer and suddenly the title bar became grayed out like it was inactive. So I closed it and hit CTRL N again. Next I placed a .jpg photo, but when I tried to aply a brush stroke on it., the same thing happened as mentioned above. Am I doing something wrong ?

Check the settings on Photoshop (Image->mode ? what is the color setting RGB/CMYK/Grayscale? what is the channel bit 8-bit or 16-bit...?what is the version and platform? are you working on a background layer..? If you are using XP, I have had a similar thing happen, I just reinstalled on Windows 2000, and 98 with no problem..let me know the above questions....?

The channel was 8-bit. I'm working on Win98 platform and using PS6, but I've been working with PhotoPaint for 3 years. Again I tryed to do the same thing. I placed a jpeg photo, with settings RGB mode and white background. Then I clicked on Create a new layer icon on Layers palette, drew a red rectangle and then I tryed to apply a brush stroke on it but when I chose a brush tool the pointer didn't turn into brush - it stayed the arrow, although the brush property bar appeared on the top. And again I clicked on each and every tool on the toolbar(move tool, hand, zoom...), their property bars appeared on the top but the pointer didn't turn into selected tool. So I deleted that layer and the title bar of the jpeg photo simply greyed out.

You have to Rasterize your red square Layer first. Right-click on the layer of your square to get this option.

Right now, the square is an Image File, and to edit it, it needs to be rasterized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back