Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Value from String

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsavitha

MIS
Jan 28, 2011
GB
Dear All,

I have a 'calculation' coulmn(datatype:test) in pr_cal table.In this coulmn a big string is stored. for eg:

Begin Calculationis <br />\n<br simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard galley Total Price including Commission at This Level: 7.6847058823529411764705882353 the leap into is simply been the industry's standard dummy text Gross Price with Surcharges : 6.14
It Lorem Ipsum survived not only nProduct Price including Commission: 5.68627 five centuries, but also the leap into since the 1500s, when an unknown Total Price including Commission at This Level: 17.14567335 scrambled it to make a type specimen book.Total Price including Commission at This Level: 27.6847 <br />\n<br />\nEnd Quote Calculation<br />\n"

I need to extract the value next to 'Total Price Including Commision at this level: " here it be 7.684 and need to store in seperate column.

Note:This "Total Price Including Commision at this level" string may occurs many time in the text. I need to get the value next to first one.

Sorry for this example,as it need to explian bit clearly about my requirtment.Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
SG

declare @test varchar(8000)
set @test ='Begin Calculationis <br />\n<br simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industrys standard galley Total Price including Commission at This Level: 7.6847058823529411764705882353 the leap into is simply been the industrys standard dummy text Gross Price with Surcharges : 6.14It Lorem Ipsum survived not only nProduct Price including Commission: 5.68627 five centuries, but also the leap into since the 1500s, when an unknown Total Price including Commission at This Level: 17.14567335 scrambled it to make a type specimen book.Total Price including Commission at This Level: 27.6847 <br />\n<br />\nEnd Quote Calculation<br />\n'

declare @search varchar(100)
--Len of @search plus a space is 48
set @search ='Total Price Including Commission at this level:'

select charindex(lower(@search), lower(@test))+48 as start
,charindex(' ', @test, charindex(lower(@search), lower(@test))+48) as [end]
,substring(@test, charindex(lower(@search), lower(@test))+48,
(charindex(' ', @test, charindex(lower(@search), lower(@test))+48)) -
(charindex(lower(@search), lower(@test))+48)) as [Value]

replace @test with your field name and add a from statement.

Simi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back