Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting unique values from column

Status
Not open for further replies.

qfkeon

Programmer
May 29, 2001
US
I have a list of several thousand part numbers in a column in Excel. Many of the numbers duplicate in this list. Is there a formula that will read the column and copy each number once to a different column so I can get a clean list? Thanks.

I have the following steps wrapped up into a macro with a button on a custom tool bar assigned to it.
[ul]
[li]Select the column containing the part numbers[/li]
[li]Go to Data > Filter > Advanced Filter[/li]
[li]Tic the box beside Unique Values Only[/li]
[li]Copy[/li]
[li]Navigate to a new sheet[/li]
[li]Paste[/li]
[/ul]
You are now looking at a list of all part numbers, each listed only once.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Hi gfkeon:

Or

I can do the filering operation on the sheet where I want to eventually have the filtered records and refer the range to be filtered on the other sheet.

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
Energy Efficient Building Network LLC

Hi,

I use Data > Advanced Filter as John has outlined so weel for you.

But, as a matter of choice, I most often use Data > Get External Data... to get unique lists of items.

Check out faq68-5829 VERY POWERFUL!!!

I use this technique in the process of "drilling down" into data; ie

1. get a unique list of Part Numbers

2. given a Selected Part Number, get a unique list of Cost Centers that the Part passes thru

3. given a unique Cost Center, get a unique list of MachineIDs that are in the selected Cost center that the Part Number passes thru....

This can ALL be done without VBA code, using native Excel functionality.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] To be safe on the [red]FOURTH[/red],
Don't take a [red]FIFTH[/red] on the [red]THIRD[/red]
Or you might not come [red]FORTH[/red] on the [red]FIFTH[/red]
[red][highlight blue]FORTH[/highlight][/red][white][highlight red]WITH[/highlight][/white] [tongue][/sub]

Thanks guys. I never used the filter before. I was looking around in the reference formulas for something to use. I'm all set. I just filtered and copied the cells into a new column.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back