Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Structure Diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonbutler

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2003
GB
Hi,

Is there anyway of easily extracting a structure diagram from a Progress Database? I need to work out the relationships between the tables. I also need to work out which fields are indexed and which aren't. As well as a table structure I need to extract lists of the fields in the tables, together with their format, length, type etc. Can this easily be done? I've been told the Data Dictionairy can do this - but there is a danger of accidentally changing structure. Ideally I need a read-only tool.

Any idea's folks?

Leon Butler

There are a couple of progress programs that may help.
suggests probuddy from ZX Systems Inc but ZX was down when I looked (bandwidth exceeded).
I have a copy and it's freely distributable IIRC so reply if you still need help understanding the database structure.

The Data Dictionary is the place to go. In reports, select "Detailed Table" and you'll get all the table/index information you need to know for as many tables as you select.

If you do that and nothing more, you'll not change the schema.

If you're *really* nervous, run it on a copy of your production database. The schema is still the same.

As for "table relationships"... they are application specific. Better ERP systems like QAD publish very nice books (available online) with table relationship information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back