Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

extracting embedded fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
I have a user on an XP box who is trying to work with PDFs sent in by a contracted designer. If she tries to open the files in Acrobat Pro 7 she gets an error saying the program could not extract embedded fonts xxx and the document does display with the font in question missing. However the same document, on the same machine opened in Adobe Reader 8 opens and renders correctly.

This suggests it's something in her copy of Acrobat, but I wouldn't begin to know how to troubleshoot since I know little about Acrobat. Any ideas?

_____
Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

There's a possibility that the designer might be using a very new version of Acrobat Pro or exporting the pdfs from a very recent version of the various Adobe apps. You said that the pdf opens in Reader 8 (newer) and not Acrobat 7 (older)

When creating pdfs in any Adobe apps, there is an option to make the pdf compatible with older versions. There are numerous options. I work in print graphics and usually save pdfs compatible with Acrobat 4 - a very old version but I've never had one problem with output (printing).

You might tell the user to ask the designer to export, or create, the pdf compatible with an older version and see if it works.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back