Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Email Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron333

Technical User
Jun 8, 2011
US
Does anyone know of a way to extract email addresses from an Exchange datastore? One of the partners here at work has given me a list of domains and wants me to extract all the email addresses from those domains on our Exchange server.

Is this even possible? Or, is this a case of users using Outlook in each of their accounts to do the searching? Thanks!

That's not helpful at all. Why would you think I hadn't Googled it? It's insulting. Plus, that's not what I was looking for. I need to search the datastores and pull out all email addresses related to particular domains, whether they're in the Address fields, the body or wherever. I know how to list the mailbox addresses on my server.

If you're referring to email addresses of EXTERNAL domains, including those in message bodies and sender and recipient fields, you might have defined that in your original post.

If you want multi-mailbox search, I'm afraid that's not a feature built into this version of Exchange. It is a feature of Exchange 2010.

You could look at using export-mailbox, but that's not going to get you as far as you're trying to go.

I suspect you could write a full app that uses Exchange Web Services to connect to the server and run queries, but that's likely going to be quite involved. Barring that, you'd need a third party ediscovery tool. In either case, you'd want to put the affected mailboxes on retention hold to keep data from being purged until the mailboxes could be searched. See
Pat Richard MVP

Suggest you say that it is not possible in 2007. Short of manually granting yourself permissions to every mailbox and then searching each one manually.

Pain.

Also, why.

Get yourself some kind of traffic logger to log inbound and outbound email - that will have the ability to list email addresses used. Including all of the spammers.

Actually this is doable but you will need an XML/Database coder. You can run a simple XML script that will comb the Database and create an output into an Excel spreadsheet.

I have had this done several times with forum and other email databases. I know a few people who can do it but they all charge for the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back