Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extracting Email Addresses from Sent Items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue13x

Technical User
Oct 4, 2004
GB
A colleague has sent individual emails to about two thousand people about an event via Microsoft Outlook 2003. Those sent emails are held in their sent folder (pst).

I've just found out that my colleague has done it the (very) hard way. I'd like to help them out before they have to send the next email, by getting all of the individual email addresses out of those emails and into an address book, as others will also need to send emails to these people in the future.

If I can get the addresses into a csv file, I can get them into an address book. Any suggestions for a quick way of getting those addresses from that PST folder and into a csv file?

The only way I can think of is by right clicking on the individual addresses and ADD TO CONTACTS. You could then move those contacts into a dedicated Contacts folder, and likely export them from there. Just theory, though.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

Many thanks for you quick reply!

The main problem we have is that there are about 2000 odd emails that this info needs to be extracted from... Doing one at a time is very daunting! :)

Can you move those particular sent items to a separate folder, export the folder to a csv file, edit it down to just the emial addresses, and then import it into a contacts folder or distribution list. I've never tried it myself. Just a thought.

Cheers.

How are ya red13x . . .

TheAceMan1 said:
[blue] . . . and what was the [purple]source of the receipient addresses[/purple] for the 2000 emails that were sent! [surprise][/blue]
I ask because [blue]outlook normally shows the receipients fullname[/blue] in its sent folder in place of the actual email address, unless addresses were expressly entered.

My point is the addresses you seek maynot be in the sent folder and some sort of [blue]contact lookup[/blue] may be required. [purple]Have your friend take a quick look![/purple]

This can go a number of ways depending on your answer . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Select all the emails you want to extract the data from, move them into a new file (can be one within the Sent Items folder), then go to File, Import and Export. The wizard will guide you through the steps to send all the emails to a CVS file. Each data group is separated into headed sections. Simply delete all sections you do not need.

Sorry, should have read FOLDER not file (wizard will export the entire Sent folder otherwise). And should note that I checked this out on Outlook 2007 and cannot guarantee it will work with 2003 or earlier; but remember that it is very similar.

Thanks to everyone for your replies! I will try them out on Tuesday when I return to work! :)

What you can do is this, in outlook 2007, then select Sent Items and then go to file, Import And Export, Select Export to a file, Select Microsoft Excel, Make sure the sent items is selected, Then create file name, Click next, Then you will see a box that says Export "Export "Email messages" from Folder: Sent Items" Select this and then a pop up box will appear, Then you have two boxes open, Just select the items you wish to export and then click OK and open the excel file you created and there you are.

Thanks to everyone! We managed to do this.

So simple really... it seems the simple solutions often evade us when we are looking for complicated answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back