Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract PST From Information Store (Priv.EDB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourheadns

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
Here's the situation:

We're running a Windows 2000 Server environment with Exchange 2000 on a new domain. About a year ago, we were still using Exchange 5.5 and it was under a different domain.

Now here's the problem - I need to recover a PST from the priv.edb from the Exch 5.5. Is it possible to just install Exch 5.5 on a windows 2000 server without connecting to any domains (local machine) and open up priv.edb and extract the PST file for one of the users? Thanks in advance.

-Nip

You need to recover a PST from the Private Information Store??? Do you mean you need to recover a mailbox and dump it to a PST? There are no PSTs within the priv.edb. They are stored elsewhere on a file share or a PC's HDD.

In the past I've been asked to retrieve a single Email from a tape backup. In Exchange 5.5, as we aren't running brick-level backups, I've had to build a test exchange server, restore the entire Private Information Store just to get to the Email in question.

Hope this helps!

There are 10 types of people in the world,
those who know binary, and those who don't!

Vos [peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back