Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract lines from table into new table

EngDM

Technical User
Sep 13, 2024
Hello! Regular Eng-Tips user checking in.

I have created a spreadsheet that calculates steel beam strength, and then performs true/false checks to see if it passes my input criteria. What I would like to do, is some how extract all of the lines that are "True" for all checks (right now I have an If(And)) statement checking if all checks are true) and return them to a different table as a sort of summary of everything that would meet my criteria.

I'm not sure if there is a certain table type that can easily do this, but I have also considered using VBA and recording a macro. For the macro route I am getting hung up on the last step.

The plan for the macro would be to copy the whole table to my summary page, sort the table by the true/false check column and delete all false entries. My issue is, since the number of false entries can change I can't really record a macro to do this, since I may be deleting too many lines.

Another option I have been exploring is the filter function, and then using choosecols to specify what columns to return (to get rid of the extra columns I don't need in my summary). The issue is, it appears to be returning everything and not actually filtering. Here is the line:

=CHOOSECOLS(FILTER(W_Properties,(Mr>Mf_req)+(Ix>Ix_req)+(Sections!N5:N293<max_d)+(Sections!O5:O293<max_b),""),1,3,4,14,15,35)

Where W_Properties, Mr and Ix are defined arrays already. I could define a d array and b array to pair with my max_d and max_b check.

You know when you are looking for something and then you ask for help and immediately find it? Yea.

Last edited:
Could you share your table structures? Do you have a table with multiple true/false fields for checks? If so, this would be “committing spreadsheet”.

We need more clarifications. Typically records aren’t deleted, they are simply filtered out of forms and reports.

I have created a spreadsheet that calculates steel beam strength, and then performs true/false checks to see if it passes my input criteria.
I hope your "spreadsheet" is a table and better yet, a Structured Table via Insert > Tables > Table.
Please display the structure of your table.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back