Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXTRACT in ORDER BY

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarlStaley

Programmer
Feb 15, 2011
US
I have a table for our membership with a Date field for birthdays. I am trying to get a list of the birthdays ordered by month and date. My first attempt to get the list used this SQL:

"SELECT * FROM FSBC_Member WHERE BirthDate IS NOT NULL ORDER BY BirthDate,LastName,FirstName"

This resulted in a list ordered by oldest to youngest. I just want the birthdays without regard to the year of birth.

My next attempt to get the list used this SQL:

"SELECT * FROM FSBC_Member WHERE BirthDate IS NOT NULL ORDER BY EXTRACT(MONTH FROM BirthDate),EXTRACT(DAY FROM BirthDate), LastName, FirstName"

This did not work either. It appears I cannot use EXTRACT in an ORDER BY clause.

Is there a good way to order the query by month and day from a Date field short of redesigning the table to extract month and date from the Date field?

I am using the Borland Database Engine for Paradox 7 tables.

Thank You...
Earl Staley

Seems like your dbms product doesn't support order by expression.

One possbile workaround is to create a view with two extra columns used by the order by.

Something like:[tt]
CREATE VIEW FSBC_Member_View AS
SELECT FSBC_Member.*,
EXTRACT(MONTH FROM BirthDate) as Bmonth,
EXTRACT(DAY FROM BirthDate) Bday
FROM FSBC_Member;

SELECT * FROM FSBC_Member_View
WHERE BirthDate IS NOT NULL
ORDER BY Bmonth, Bday, LastName, FirstName;
[/tt]

JarlH,

I had already tried your suggestion and that didn't work either. The only place an EXTRACT statement works in my implementation is in a WHERE clause. For example:

"SELECT * FROM FSBC_Member WHERE EXTRACT(MONTH FROM BirthDate)=1 ORDER BY LastName, FirstName"

That is the only place I have found to successfully use the EXTRACT statement.

I have not found a source for the complete set of SQL statements that work with the Borland Database Engine using Paradox 7 tables and the Borland C++ 2010 compiler.

Where does the code to execute SQL statements reside?
Is the code in the Borland Database Engine?
Is the code in the Paradox 7 table structure?
Is the code in the Borland C++2010 compiler?

I am like a monkey using SQL. I don't really know how it works because I have no idea how it is implemented. I can look at a book and determine appropriate SQL statements to put in my C++ code but I would really like to know how and where it is implemented.

I have a very good book entitled "Beginning SQL" that guides me through SQL statements.

Thanks again for your help.

Earl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back