Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extract Certain Characters from Line Item (String Field)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KalebsDad78

Technical User
May 6, 2006
US
I'm trying to extract certain characters from a 'Description of Transaction' window that shows all activity that occurred in an ambulance call - such as:

Call Taken, Assigned to Vehicle X, Response Priority, Time unit went enroute, at scene, etc.

It also has line items for a certain piece of information I need to report but isn't found in another table. The line is 'ProQA set Determinant to XXXXX'.

The 'X's are what I need to extract and display and are in the table labeled as 'Trip_History.description'. I've tried variations of extractstring and can't get it to work correctly for me.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Assuming that the string 'ProQA set Determinant to XXXXX'only ever appears once, and always has a space after it, try:

Code:
ExtractString({Table.Trip_History.description}, 'ProQA set Determinant to ', ' ')

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Pete

Hello pmax - That formula does pull the text that I need but it is duplicating the number of records based on the number of lines of text within that particular call. So, if there are 20 other lines of text in this table for this call, it duplicates the call 20 times with one showing the Determinant text.

What's an easy way to prevent this from happening or displaying in this manner?

If you group on Pete's formula and move everything to the Group Footer (suppress detail and Group Header) you'll only see it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back