Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra macro example

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreCard

Technical User
Aug 17, 2021
PE
Good evening,

I know little about VBA, and I need to create a macro to help me extract data from MyExtra and paste it into an excel sheet to avoid repetitive work. Will you have a basic example that allows me to extract data from page "X" of My Extra and paste it into cell A1 of Excel Sheet 1?

I want an example so I can compile and understand the basics.

Thank you very much to all

FreCard,

Unfortunately, my library of Excel VBA for Attachmate got lost.

During my career, I got lots of requests from various people a developed a method to take a list of lookup values in Excel and perform an Inquiry for each value, COPY an entire screen and then create a table of values for the Fields and Data corresponding to each value. BTW, the reason I did this is because I saw that other people had written separate programs for many different screens and I said to myself, "Why couldn't I make ONE program that I could use to scrape ANY screen and put ALL the data into an Excel sheet?" So that's what I did. I used a Screen Description Table faq99-7950

I did this entirely in Excel VBA, with a reference to the Attachmate!Extra Library. This is not a trivial task. I developed about a dozen custom functions and procedures. It took weeks to develop while I was performing other required tasks.

How conversant are you with Excel VBA? I would NOT recommend coding in Attachmate VBA in order to screen scrape to Excel. Excel is The Place to put your effort. Attachmate you will use infrequently. Excel you will find more and more useful. Attachmate VBA is like driving a Yugo. Excel VBA is like driving a Jaguar.

Check the FAQ for Attachmate posted here. There are code examples that you can use in Excel VBA, given that you go to Tools > References in the Excel VBA Editor, and add a reference to the Attachmate Objects Library.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Hi!
If I have knowledge of VBA Excel.
So I want to start developing the code in Excel.
My PC has Windows 10 x64, my Excel is 64-bit.
Would you have a problem?
Do you have any recommendations to be able to start the code and connect Excel with MyExtra?

Did you attempt to
1) view the FAQs in this forum?
2) add a reference to Attachmate Object Library in the Excel VB Editor?
3) use the code you found in the FAQs to test grab your emulator screen object?

You're gonna have to experiment A LOT! You can get Microsoft VBA help at Forum707. I post there, so I'll see your questions if I'm around.

Learn to use the Watch Window to discover what properties and values you have as you run your code at various times. faq707-4594

I think I remember being able to get a Help menu for the Attachmate VBA Properties & Methods but I can't remember where. That will be essential. You might need to google.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back