Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra icons left in Control Panel/Clien problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy750

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I am still trying to figure out why I can't reinstall the sms client on some of my machines. I have made a couple of posts but no one has responded acknowledging that they have encountered this problem.

I have uninstalled the sms client on multiple machines using the cliunis.exe located in the %windir%\ms\sms\core\bin. What happens is the uninstall runs and I reboot. Once backup, there are two icons left in the control panel with just the windows file logo left on them. The one you get when there is no program associated with the file type. Can someone please shed some light on how to remove these. I also have tried reinstalling the client from the logon script (smsls.bat) and from the smsman.exe with no success once I have uninstalled it. I tried using the 20clicln.bat to remove it as well and then tried reinstalling the client. I am lost here folks...anyone have a paddle?

Thanks,
-J

On stubbron deinstalls, The only other thing I have done is run 20clicln twice without restarting. then physically delete the C:\winnt\ms\ folder and all sub folders under it. I assume this is either Win95/98 or NT (and not W2K or XP). then Hack to Registry and Delete the HKey_LM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS AND HKey_LM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NAL AND HKey_LM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WBEM. (DO NOT DELETE THIS ON W2K OR XP MACHINES)

Thanks man...I'll definitely try this out. Hopefully this works.
Thanks,
-J

P.S don't run cliunis.exe, the 20clicln.bat does a much
better job of de-installing the entire SMS Client Installation.

I ran the 20clicln.bat a bunch of times on my winXP pc and it will not get rid of the extra icons left in the control panel. I have a lot of pcs around the campus that are having the same problem. I cannot reinstall the client on the machines because something is now preventing the install of it. I don't know what to do about this. Any suggestions?

Are you logged in as an admin on the local machine? Did 20clicln delete %windir%\ms? If you're not doing this already, try running 20clicln directly from a command prompt. If there is an error it should be displayed (when running it from the GUI you don't see the errors).

Many times blank Control Panel Applets will remain after the SMS client is removed from a machine. The blank applets are what used to be the Systems Management, Remote Control and Advertised Programs icons. The files responsible for this issue are SMSCfg.cpl, SMSCPL32.cpl and SMSRC.cpl. Step 6 below is the solution for removing them.

Steps for Removing the SMS Client:

1. Run 20clicln.bat. Wait for the DOS screen to indicate the SMS client has been de-installed.

2. To get a completely clean uninstall a reboot is needed here. Usually the remote control registry entry will remain. Most installs will be 95% complete without a reboot.

3. Under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft
remove the NAL and SMS keys.

4. Under the Microsoft key open the Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls key and remove any values related to SMS.

5. Under the Microsoft key open the Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall key and remove any values related to SMS.

6. Do a search for SMS and the following files SMScfg.ini, SMSCfg.cpl, SMSCPL32.cpl and smsrc.cpl (and possibly some others from the Temp folders.) will be found. Delete them. The *.cpl files are the Control Panel applets.

7. Remove all SMS profiles.

The process differs slightly for 9x machines and machines that are considered Site Systems. 9x machines won’t have SMS profiles. For Non-Site System Servers, only remove the Client key from the hklm\software\microsoft\SMS hive.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back