Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra Duplication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrn

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
GB
NB 5.1 MP3 running on HP-UX

We run vaulting of all our clients each night (1 copy). I need to create an extra duplicate of one client to send to a third party. How would I do this, I was thinking of creating a second backup of the client and a second vault job. I could also try a dd if=tape1 of=tape2. Any better ideas?

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

dd = not a good idea.

NetBackup duplicates images not tapes. Increase the master server's global attribute "Maximum backup copies:" to 3 and simply make another copy. If you are vaulting then you could use inline tape copy.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Bob,

If I up the Maximum backup copies to 3, would that not also create extra duplicate for the other client too?
We are vaulting but I didn't think inline copying was available in 5.1

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

If I up the Maximum backup copies to 3, would that not also create extra duplicate for the other client too?
No...it only allows you to go up to a maximum of 3 copies which would be 1 original and two duplications. You would have to configure vault to make to duplications.

I didn't think inline copying was available in 5.1
yes, inline is available in 5.1

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Thanks Bob, pointed me in the right direction.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back