Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Extra blank lines are being printed on my report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blamdude

Technical User
Jan 2, 2008
US
I'm new to Crystal Reports so please be patient with how I explain this.

I'm kinda stuck with using version 6 of Crystal Reports if that makes a difference.

Here is how my details section is laid out.

@partdesc @partqty @partsale @partextended @labordesc @laborextended

All these are lined up horizontally in the .rpt.

Now when I run the report what happens is that @partdesc, @labordesc and @laborextended all start on the same row but @partqty, @partsale and @partextended all get put on a line below @partdesc. This results in a blank spot directly underneath @partdesc wasting space and basically making the report look ugly. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

If I just have @partdesc in the details section byitself with nothing else or with just @laborextended there is no blank line below each repetition of @partdesc.

Can anyone shed some light?

Thank you much folks.

dave

If you go to Section Expert > Details > check Suppress Blank Section does that fix your problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now I can look at you in peace; I don't eat you any more." Franz Kafka, while admiring fish in an aquarium

Nope, doesn't make a difference.

Thanks though.

If you go into design view, do you see more than one detail section, e.g., detail_a and detail_b? If so, move all fields into detail_a and delete the detail_b section.

Have you checked each field to see whether you have any conditional field suppression? Select a field->format field->common tab->suppress (or suppress if duplicated)->x+2? If you have some fields suppressed a certain way and some another, you could get an unusual layout like this.

-LB

Thanks for the help but I do not see any extra formulas in the fields.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Also I should mention that I'm running the reports from within another program called Mitchell Manager. It's an automotive shop management program.

I'd like to try to run the report from within Crystal Reports but I don't know what the username and password is for the database which is built using MS Access.

Thank,

dave

Is there a way to write a formula to get rid of the extra space and force @partdesc @partqty @partsale and @partextended all on the same line?

In design view are all fields in the same report section? I think you will need to show us the content of your formulas.

-LB

All the fields I listed are lined up horizontally in the Details section. I only have one Details section. Here are the formulas.

@partdesc
if {PrintSet.partkeyid} = -1 then
{PrintSet.partdesc}
else if ({PrintSet.partkeyid} = -2) then
{OrderList_1.description}
else
"";

@partqty
if ({PrintSet.partkeyid} = -2) then
else
{OrderList_1.qty};

@sale
{OrderList_1.sale};

@partsextended
if ({PrintSet.partkeyid} > 0) then
Round({OrderList_1.sale} * {OrderList_1.qty} + .00001, 2)
else
0;

@labordesc
if {PrintSet.seq} >= 5000 then
""
else if {PrintSet.laborkeyid} = -1 or {PrintSet.laborkeyid} > 0 then
{PrintSet.labordesc}
else
"";

@laborextended
if ({PrintSet.laborkeyid} > 0) then
{OrderList.sale}
else
0;

I will post a picture of how the reports are ending up.

Sorry for the funky picture but you get the idea when looking at it.

Note how the last item Shop Supplies is displayed the way I want everything to be displayed.

The formulas for @partsale and @partsextended should be the following.

@partsale
if {PrintSet.partkeyid} = -2 then
{Status.shopsuppliesamt}
else
{OrderList_1.sale};

@partsextended
if {PrintSet.partkeyid} = -2 then
{Status.shopsuppliesamt}
else if ({PrintSet.partkeyid} > 0) then
Round({OrderList_1.sale} * {OrderList_1.qty} + .00001, 2)
else
0;

http://grace.speakeasy.net/~dorozco/images/screenshot.jpg
I typoed the URL. The .jpg should be .JPG.

Here's some more info I came up with while playing with it.

If I supress @partqty, @partsale, @partsextended and @labordesc The @partdesc values all get printed one after another with no extra line in between.

Have you tried adding gridlines and attaching the fields to the gridlines so that they are all aligned?

Also, I don't know what options are available in v.6, but in later versions you can select all items within a section->format objects->align->bottoms.

-LB

I'm using the little "magnetic lines" to line up the fields.

This is driving me nuts. :(

Try magnifying the view to 200% and make sure the horizontal gridlines are attaching to the same points on the fields. It is possible to attach them at the top, middle, and bottom.

-LB

The magnetic line is attached to the bottom of every field.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Would it be possible to write a formula to force the fields all on the same line?

Then they are all on the same line from the CR point of view, so why would a formula make a difference? Are you sure we are not seeing a group header on the left with a line of details below on the right? Otherwise I wonder if it has to do with the application in which CR is embedded.

Have you also checked the section expert to see whether there is some weird section formatting (underlay, or something)?

-LB

Section Expert says

Group Header #1: Printset.seq - A
Details
Group Footer #1: PrintSet.seq - A

Is there something in particular I should be looking for.

Thanks much for the help. We REALLY need to get this fixed.

Could my problem have something to do with the Change Group Expert?

No, I don't think so. Could you provide a screenshot of:
a) the design view
b) the section expert

Or at least a) might help.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back