Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXTERNAL tables Oracle 11G 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstxaix

Programmer
Dec 22, 2005
US
Hello All

I have been asked to load data in oracle table using External Tables "approach" instead fof SQL Loader utility. I have been told External tables will be faster and I should not use SQL Loader for this work. Do the data file and the script loading the data into Oracle 11 G need to reside on the Oracle DB server or can they reside on an application server?

1) Data for the external table must reside on the database server.
2) There is no "loading" script, the equivalent to the sql loader control file is part of the external table definition.
3) Therefore: NO, it cannot reside on an application server.
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

SQL Loader is obsolete technology, and should not be used for new work. It is true (and has been demonstrated irrefutably by Tom Kyte that external tables load faster than direct path sql loader (although they consume slighty more CPU).

External tables are easier,faster, make the full power of SQL available during loading, and thus avoid the need for staging tables.

Regards

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back