Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

external tables binary files

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrD123

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2003
US
Hi,

A quick question on External tables, if I could

I'm aware of how to use them with text/CSV/flat files...

Can binary files be used at all? Or possibly with coding done in ProC so it can know the structure of the binary file?

Thanx
DrD123

Very good question, DrD, for which I do not have an answer. I Googled (using search arguments, [Oracle binary contents "external table"]) and I found about 900+ hits, most of which, I'm sure, do not relate to your need. But at least it's a start.

The best resource for you (in the absence of someone here who can answer your question) will probably be logging an inquiry with Oracle Technical Support Services (via MetaLink).

If/When you find a definitive answer, please post here so we can learn from your experience.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Hey Dave,

thanx for the info... I did a web search as well and couldn't find what's needed.

I'll login to metalink and have a look and let everyone know the outcome in the end.

Thanx
drd

I haven't used them myself but on reading your requirements you may be able to do something with a combination of BFILE and the dbms_lob and utl_raw packges.

Any takers?

In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

If by "binary files" you refer to fixed length records with no record separator, then maybe a combination of the RECSIZE+BUFFERS parameter and POSITION() for fields may work. (That is if these SQL*Loader options are allowed for external tables).

[sleeping2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Hi,

Thanx for the responses.

By binary files I mean.. not text files. I'll have a look and see if the "RECSIZE+BUFFERS parameter and POSITION() " can work for us.

Another thing with this is these files would just be queried in the external table, and not loaded into the dB. So using SQLLDR or DATAPUMP options won't do it.

Good Luck
DrD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back