Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External SCSI drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzer

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2000
GB
I've just bought an external HP Ultrium SCSI tape drive. I'm plugging this into a HP Proliant ML370 server. Question is simple - do i have to shut the server down to connect the drive up?

Apologies if it's a stupid question - have been in the IT industry for 16 years but i've never had to use an external SCSI connector up to now!

Regards
James

Depends on the OS and how old the OS is.

Electrically, connecting and disconnecting external SCSI cables can be iffy if there's any local static problems. Ground yourself thoroughly before trying.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support

All IMO

Well, I would generally not recommend this. There are internal termination within the system.

This could especially be a problem if the Newly installed device has the same SCSI ID as something currently running.

Other than that, I would make sure when you plug the drive into the server, it is off.

After connections are made, I would turn it on.

Then I would bring up the Array utility and have it search the scsi chain.

This way, the server will now see all devices on the SCSI bus.

Now, I would image, your software like BE or Arcserve will see the tape
drive and you can use it.

To play it safe, I would shut the server down and install it.
Safer that way and only takes a few minutes. Better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back