Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External ringer for IP extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsekely

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2005
US
What options are available to add a external ringer for a IP phone in a production noisy environment? I'm currently on 3.1 (65) on a 406 v2. This version is currently working for everything that we need but if a newer version will help accomplish this task then it will be considered.

If there is copper wiring to the location then you should be able to put an analog ext to a bell and twin it to the IP Ext.
Mike

Do you have hard wiring to this location cos if so you could twin it with an external ringer subject to you having analogue ports spare.Failing that you used to be able to get external devices that had a sensor pad attached to a phone which would detect ringing then ring their bell

You can also bridge the wires going to the telephone speaker to the audio pair of a paging speaker - then place a voice call to the station, which will also create an announcement to the paging speaker. This even works for IP phones.

We have installed in thpast a rinnger that listens to the ringing of the phone, I think a microphone pad is placed near the phone ringer and it rings when the phone rings

Regards
Robb

I've used crumthwacket's solution many times. The downside is that you're "customizing" the wiring within the phone itself. If you need to swap the phone, you'll need to "re-customize" the replacement. All you need is an isolation transformer, a power supply and an amplified speaker (Valcom or similar).
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back