Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Reply Address Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmurfin

IS-IT--Management
Jan 12, 2005
US
Hello All,

I have a group of users who get mail on my Exch2k3 system, but technically work for another agency. They have their default reply address set to another domain, so that their recipients always see the other agency's domain name. Their email gets forwarded from that other agancy's email system to their addresses here.

This works fine, except that now some receipients are using Reverse DNS, which kicks back the emails - because my email server obviously does not have a PTR record for that agency's domain name.

Any creative ideas to allow them to continue sending emails with that reply-to address from my server, and survice an RDNS check?

Thanks for any help you may have!
Jeff

You will need to create a new SMTP connector and have that connector use their companies server as a SmartHost. Have these users sned email through the new connector.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, Mark - I had not thought of that. Wouldn't the other agency have to allow my server to relay thru their server, though?

Thanks,
Jeff

Typically yes.

I say typically because many ISPs will automatically allow the realy if you are aon their circuit. For example, I have Cox High Speed Internet at home. I can set them as a SmartHost because they provide my Internet Access.

In your case, you will need to coordinate with the other company.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks again, Mark.

I will be getting ahold of their email hosting company today to check on relaying.

I think what I should be doing (like you said) is setting up an SMTP connector to forward all mail to that Smart Host, then restrict the access to that connector so that those specific users can only use that connector.

Do I need to worry about anything else, like costing, to make sure that these users end up using that connector?

Thanks again for your help!
Jeff

No, I don't think you should have further issues with it.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks again for your help, Mark!

One last question - If I restrict access to this connector via the Delivery Restrictions tab, wouldn't the other users (who I don't allow access) get a 'nondeliverable' email? I'm a bit confused at how to set up the security.

I've set up a security group just for these users, so I can assign restrictions to the group. I'm thinking I set up a "Reject Messages From" restriction on the original SMTP connector for the specific users, so that they get rejected from that one (cost=1). Then, I set up an "Accept Messages From" restriction on the new SMTP connector (cost also = 1) for the specific users, and a "Reject Messages From" restriction for everyone else?

Thanks,
Jeff

You've got it! The users should not get NDRs until after all connectors have been tried.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back