Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External Phone Number Mask - 7 vs. 10 digit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
Hello - I've got a call manager 10.6 version.

We give the called party our internal caller-id on all outbound calls. As such, the outbound mask on all individual phone lines is a user's full 10-digit number. That said, the mask only works if someone calls outbound using 10-digits. If an outbound call is made using 7 digits, it comes up with one specific number no matter who is calling. My goal is to get the mask to work on both 7 as well as 10 digit dialing. I tried to make this work by changing the area code entry in my personal mask to XXX, but that didn't make a difference.

Questions:
1) Where is this one specific number set for all 7 digit dialing? Nothing at all is set in our 7-digit route patterns, so I don't know where it comes from. I also looked in System and Enterprise parameters, but saw nothing there either.

2) Should I add a mask to our 7-digit outbound route pattern to make this work? Should I make that mask [2-9]XXXXXX or should I use something else?

Thanks for your help!

How are your route patterns setup? Are you saying use the phone or are you defining it to wildcards on the RP?

To answer question 1, my guess is either something in the router. Or your caller id is going un matched to the telco so it picks up the billing number.

To answer question 2, I would just let phone provide the mask without manipulation. It would at least show you what the telco is wanting.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Thanks for responding gnrslash4life...

Our route patterns are not set up to mask anything. All the masking is done on the phone. What I'm asking is if there is a way to manipulate a user's individual mask so that it works for both 7 and 10-digit dialing, or if I have to split the mask: Keep a user's phone at 10-digit and put a 7-digit on the RP....if that would even work.

I don't recall anything on our VG's that have a specific number on them. I'm guessing the telco is picking up the 7-digit dial and sending out the specific number.

You could run a DNA report to see whats making it to the gateway and/or you could run debugging on the gateway and see what is being sent to the telco.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS
CIPTV1
CIPTV2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search