Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External paging on ucx50

Status
Not open for further replies.

atdjr123

Technical User
Mar 12, 2012
US
Has anyone been able to setup external paging via an fxo port on the ucx or any other method???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.
have a great day and a better tomorrow

Most Paging Vendors have some IP-enabled paging adapter that can register with UCX as a SIP extension (unfortunately that eats up a licence). Then all you need to do is call that extension from any phone and you can page and can also add it to any page group you might want to build to page both speakers and phones. I tried to go cheap on on install and canalized a 7310 set to extend the speaker leads to an analog page adapter but the sound quality left a lot to be desired. Ended up installing a Valcom PagePro IP adapter and it works great.

I took an i2001 IP POE set, opened it up and cut the leads to the phone speaker and spliced them to a RCA cable into the back of the paging input on a TOA A-912MK2 mixer amplifier.

I set the phone as extension 44444 and then set a Page Zone to that particular extension and the users on the system simply dial 84 to dial the overhead or dial 85 to page the phones and overhead.

The paging quality is amplified internal call paths, so it's rather excellent over the amplifier. It sounds better than most airports or train stations.

"Keep the Peace, Use RLS"

Hey guys, I appreciate the suggestions. I did see your setup awhile back Gordon on youtube and it seemed to work just fine. I guess I'm looking for a more refined or current method.Such a robust switch and lacking some of the most basic call handling procedures...I guess that's the trade off...

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey Gordon, just curious as to how you set up external paging with dial 84 and all page with dial 85.....

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hi ATDJR,

In order to set up the page zones, I went to:

PBX tab
-Paging and Intercom
-Created a page zone called 84 to page only extension 45454. On the GUI, you can choose which extension you want to page over the speaker and I kept it just at 45454. That extension is the modified i2001 IP phone with the speaker leads going to the amplifier.
-When you dial 84, the system pages to 45454 and thusly to the input on my TOA amplifier.

To Page 85 which acts as Feature 630 from Norstar:
-I created a page zone called 85 which will page extension 45454 AND any other extension on the system that you want to page. Thusly 85 pages phone speakers and the Loudspeaker system at the same time.

In order to get the readout on the display when dialing 84 to read "Paging SPKR" or dialing 85 to read "Paging ALL-SPKR" I simply entered 84 and 85 into the phonebook on the PBX GUI and named them respectively. So when you dial those numbers, the phone book shows their feature name on the display.

I should also mention most larger PBXs don't have paging outputs.....meridian one, ,CS1000, IP office, etc, all make you buy a separate paging controller. The UCx can potentially be modified to use the paging pin out on the digital gateway if Norstar phones are being used. I know a solution is in the works for non Digital Gateway users.

Hi Guys
Working with a Snom PA1 - looks promising.
I will keep you posted.

Hi atdjr
The PA1 hooks up just like a snom sip set.
It has outputs for 8 ohm speaker, or you can also hook it to an external amp.
Also has provision for contact closures ( I'm working on this ).
Then you just call the PA1 like a regular extension.

Hey Joe, would that also work with Valcom powered paging speakers. I'm thinking, connect the speaker voltage legs to 24 volt power supply and speech leads to the phone speaker leads. Then place both in paging group 84 for external paging. There is also an amp on site for 70 volt speakers. I could daisy chain those speech leads with the leads of valcom speakers..Does this sound workable to you???

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey engenius, I did look into that and according to the documentation paging can only be performed via a Snom telset.

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hi atdjr123
I have Snom PA1 working on UCX as ext 226, also built a digital up circuit off the output wiring to generate a contact closure for amplifiers that require music muting.

Hi atdjr123
I am using Nortel T7316e, M7324, 1140e, Snom820, and a sip cordless phone from Emetrotel.

Hey Engenius, I'm looking at the diagram for the PA1 and it does look like a viable alternative to cannibalizing a phone. I noticed the connections for the speaker leads on the rear as well as headphone inputs. It will definitely look much better on the rack as well... Thanks

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hey engenius, I meant to ask you what cordless phone are you using and also do you get Hold Recall and or MWI notifications on it????

Voice Connect Plus, Inc.

Hi atdjr123
I am currently working with a cordless sip phone from Emetrotel.
Haven't realy tested it yet, I will let u know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back