Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

external OWA fails to connect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2005
US
If I type name/exchange internally I was able to connect. But from the outside I get this error message:

Page cannot be displayed

cannot find server or DNS error.
---------------

I have the Cname entry on our internal DNS server for the exchangeservername. Any thoughts?

Did you allow port 80 through the firewall to point to the server?

I agree with Treyze
However just as a tip, by default most firewalls do not allow inbound access through port 80. You need to allow inbound access and port forward the traffic to your exchange servers IP address. This however can leave your server a little exposed to the outside world. If you can, I would try to only allow access through your firewall from trusted IP addresses, e.g. a homeworker's static IP address or a customers site. If you have field workers that work from dynamic addresses i would suggest they get mobile user VPNs.

I'm having similar problems - I can't access my email through OWA from my client's site. I have unblocked the port on their firewall, and I have unblocked the port in mine. I can access from another client's site. any suggestions? thanks.

jsrvictor
You should not have to unblock any ports from you clients site to view your OWA as this would be the same as browsing a normal web page. The problem may be a browser issue.

You may already have done this, but you need to make sure you "forward" the port on your firewall to the IP address of your Exchange server.

FWIW,

Joe Brouillette

The other issue may be DNS. Do you outsource DNS or keep it inhouse?

Internally, exchange may work fine because you're using the internal DNS name.

From the outside, try to hit the IP of the exchange server instead of the name and see what happens (the external NAT IP of the exchange server)

thanks for the replies =)
I'm not entirely sure how the port forwarding works as I didn't do the initial setup, and I'm pretty sure the DNS is inhouse. I don't think this is the problem though, since I can access from other clients' premises without any hassles. I am thinking charlie2908 is on the mark with the problem being related to a possible browser problem. any suggestions as to what sort of browser problems I should look for?
cheers. victor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back