Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External or removable Hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbs604

Instructor
Jun 7, 2003
AU
What is the thinking nowadays regarding b/u media? Ext network drive or removable drive?

How does one satisfy the "offsite" requirement with a external device?

And how do you make a removeable hd "hot swappable"?

Cheers,
Brodie

Offsite backup are mostly on tapes b/c hard drives tend to have failure if they are move around alot.

B/U to a harddrive is only for fast backup and recovery.

But this is only one person opinion.

I move hard drives around all the time - I use them for backup for most of my clients... there's no problem with it... Obviously, you need to be a little more careful than tape, but you're not dealing with unstable explosives.

You make removable drives "hot swappable" by using a controller that supports hot-sqapping.

How does one satisfy the "offsite" requirement with a external device?

Easy... you take it off site.

You might want to read over my backup comment - it started as a comment on another site and grew and grew and grew... so I made it a web page.

So.... we need 2 or more external hd ?

Your burst on backups on your website is good - many thanks.

Cheers,
Brodie

Yes. Two or more drives and rotate them off site.

Ultimately the best solution depends on your business needs, but typically having three disks to rotate off site is probably the most advantages method for the AVERAGE small business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back