Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External off hook indicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjk78

Programmer
Mar 21, 2007
US
thread940-1791885

Found the thread referenced above with no answer. Just wondering if anyone knew of a way or a device that'd light an external light when an IP set was off hook. This is for use in a 911 dispatch center where the IP Office are the admin phones next to their 911 system. They don't use headsets on the admin phones, so that's not an option here. They use Avaya 96XX series phones.

you could probably make it work if you run the analog extension of the 911 operator through the IP Office as 1 line to 1 extension programming
BUT
I would not even think of doing that because the 911 system is more reliable as any IP Office and you don't want to get sued by someone because the IPO needed a reboot or had a hiccup and restarted by itself...

Similar idea without going through the IPO:
If you can get a contact closure working for each of the 911 operators then you could try to use an analog extension and simply short it out so that it lights up as a busy user.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Check out the Algo 8128. It is a SIP Light. I have used them in schools to indicate when a page announcement is being made in noisy areas (gymnasiums, music rooms, cafeterias). I have also used them as a visual alert when a phone is ringing, or simply in use. I would caution you about checking 911 rules. Algo does have decent technical support that could also advise you on approved uses.

Please remember... If it's not the way that YOU would do it, that does not necessarily mean it's wrong. EVERYONE knows SOMETHING that you do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back