Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External number call forwarding with queuing possible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

icmpman

Technical User
May 4, 2005
US
Hello experts:
I have read through the forum, but I haven't seen anyone trying to do this... perhaps it's more simple than what I have tried.

What is the best way (or is this possible?) to set up a remote number (cell or home phone) that can take calls after hours, but only 1 at a time. Additional incoming calls should be queued until that remote number is free? Will the IPO see an extension w/ unconditional forwarding enabled as busy? My testing so far hasn't panned out. I do have linear ring on the huntgroup. Thanks in advance for help/ideas!

Hi icmpman,

I don't think this will work. We tried doing something similar to see if we could easily forward reception from main office(where vmpro is) to a sattelite office - queuing would not work if we forwarded to the branch office. It seems like the system cannot see if the phone is busy so it keeps trying to send stuff through. I have seen similar things when forwarding extensions outside. Going to a cellphone or outside phone that isn't part of the system at all will likely not work either.

You could try setting up an extension that just forwards to your cellphone and put that extension in the main hunt group, but I kind of think the system will not see that your outside phone is busy as the IPO extension isn't busy - I don't think it can see that the forwarded number is busy just if the local extension is busy or not.

Use a phone dailer as an agent in the group.

Put the agent phone as the incomming analog line and also a second analog line for the outgoing call.

So the caller is callforwarded bij the dailer en the agent phone line stays busy till the call is dropped.
Al other calls stay in que.

Greets Peter

big70 -
Could you elaborate a bit more as this sounds like an interesting solution. I do have a PRI, so will this idea still work if I'm not using analog? Could you further explain or point me to info on putting a phone dialer as an agent in the group? ... sorry I'm not following that.

big70 & all -
I haven't looked at or thought much about the wiring or how this would work, but could a person connect one analog port to another with proper wiring? - then when a call comes "into" one analog port, the other could pick up with as a hot line and automatically forward to cell/home phone? As you point out, this would show a physical analog port busy and calls would queue. This would eliminate the need for the appliance dialer...? Of course, the nice features of being able to reject the call and all the other stuff that appliance did would not be available. I come from a data background, so I'm wondering if it's even possible to connect the analog ports and bypass a device (phone,auto-dialer, etc). Ideas?

no not possible with the solution you wan,t you need the dialer.

Greets Peter

I never tried it but a friend of mine told me how he solved this problem with an IP Office.

For this to work you must have one single outgoing line.

Create a huntgroup with one member and queing enabled. The member should have forwarding enabled using the single outgoing line.

The first call is transfered without a problem. The second call cannot be transfered because the outside line is already in use, so the IP Office will queue this call. After the first call is completed the queued call can be transferred through.

Good luck!

chain a load of assisted transfers together to continually try the number

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back