Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

External MIcrophone input level adjustment in Win 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
My Gateway laptop at holme has built-in camera and mike for Skype, etc. I would like to use it with an Amateur Radio app that brings received audio into the Mike In jack on the laptop. On my ancient Thinkpad where I used this same app, I remember an input mixer adjustment where I could reduce the level of the incoming audio signal. I can't seem to find it in this Win7 install, or choose that I want to use the external mike jack rather than the one built-in with the web cam. What am I missing ?

Fred Wagner
(retired, but still involved!)

In the Control panel there is a way to adjust "Sound" levels for all output and input. Go to Recording, double click on Microphone and go to Levels.

Mike (KB2WPT)

Also, if you don't see the input or output you are looking for, in the main windows for playback or record, right click and click "show disabled devices" and more devices may show up that you can enable and direct how windows will use that device, I have 2 sound cards on my machine, The creative labs playback through the 5.1 surround speakers, and then the realtek integrated sound card has headphones and a mic for skype and mumble,and other communication applications, the reason is I sometimes am playing a game or watching a movie or Hulu and this way, I don't have explosions and whatnot going through the headphones and interfering with the conversation. Windows handles this great, when I install something, I just have to configure what audio card to use, and not choose default.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back